How is Personal Income Taxed in Canada (T1)?

In Canada, people often have various questions related to personal taxes, especially during tax-filing season or when planning their finances. Here are some common tax-related questions that people may ask in Canada:

Income Tax Filing

1. How is personal income taxed in Canada?

Canada uses a progressive (graduated) income tax system where your earnings are taxed at higher rates (tax brackets) as your income increases. Tax brackets determine the rate of tax paid for each additional dollar of income within the defined bracket/threshold.

Canada’s income tax system levies federal and provincial taxes on individuals. Provincial taxes are imposed by the province or territory in which you reside or carry on business or professional activities.

2. What documents do I need to gather before filing my taxes?

  • Your personal identity – Social Insurance Number (SIN) and date of birth for you, your spouse and any dependents are necessary for filing your return. You should also ensure your mailing address and direct deposit banking information are up to date.
  • Your income from all sources – This means collecting income tax slips such as those for employment or self-employment income, retirement income, investment income or interest from savings, or income from employment benefits or social assistance.
  • Your receipts relating to credits and deductions – There are many types of deductions, credits, and expenses you can claim on your tax return. These can either reduce your taxes owing (for non-refundable credits) or add to your potential refund (for refundable credits). Examples of deductions include charitable donations, RRSP contributions, moving expenses, union dues, and more. You’ll need your receipts handy to claim these.
  • Your previous year’s tax return – You may need to refer to last year’s tax return when filing for the current year. Have your notice of assessment and tax return on hand from the previous year. This will be useful for such information as your RRSP deduction limit, or tuition carry-forward amounts. You may also be asked to refer to specific lines of your previous year’s return.

These are just some common documents you may need to file your personal tax return(T1) in Canada. Depending upon your unique tax situation you will need various documents and information to accurately report your income, deductions, and credits. It's important to keep accurate records throughout the year and gather all necessary documents before filing your taxes to ensure completeness and accuracy. Being prepared with the right documents and information can make the actual tax filing steps feel a lot easier.  If you're unsure about which documents you need or how to report certain items, consider consulting with a tax professional in Toronto to guide you through the process.

3. Can I file my taxes online, and what are the benefits?

Yes, you can file your taxes online in Canada using the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) secure online services or through approved tax software.

Several online tax services use NETFILE, an electronic tax filing software that lets you send your tax return directly to the CRA. Filing with NETFILE allows you to receive your refund with direct deposit, and you’ll get immediate confirmation that your tax return has been received by the CRA. This confirmation includes a filing confirmation number, which can be helpful for tracking purposes.

Filing taxes online is fast and easy with the Canada Revenue Agency’s NETFILE system. To abate any privacy concerns, you should know the CRA uses the most advanced form of encryption available in Canada. You can rest assured that your information is safe in their system. Filing taxes online offers several benefits:

  • Convenience
  • Faster Processing
  • Accuracy
  • Immediate Confirmation
  • Access to Benefits and Credits
  • Security


4. When is the deadline for filing income taxes in Canada?

The dates for filing your taxes are strictly enforced by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Canada Revenue Agency usually expects individual taxpayers to submit their income tax returns by April 30 of every year. If April 30 falls on a weekend, the CRA extends the deadline to the following business day. It is mandatory for all Canadian citizens to file their taxes by the deadline. For now, taxpayers can submit their tax returns for the fiscal year 2024 until April 30, 2024.

Individuals who own small businesses, are self-employed, and are married have until June 15th to file their taxes for the prior year. There may be repercussions for not filing your taxes on time if the deadline is missed.

5. What happens if I file my taxes late?

After the deadline of April 30th, you can still file your taxes. If you file after the deadline, there will be additional fees and penalties that apply. In case of late filing and unpaid taxes to the Canadian government, the late filing penalties and interest will be levied by the CRA on the outstanding amount.

Starting on May 1st, interest is compounded daily. Penalties begin to accrue the day following the filing Canada Tax Deadline. Interest and penalties for filing beyond the deadline are waived if you have no outstanding taxes.

Under the Taxpayer Relief Program, if you are unable to pay your taxes because of circumstances beyond your control, the CRA may waive or cancel all or part of the interest and penalties. These situations include demise, severe disease, disability, theft, job loss, or bankruptcy.

6. How long should you keep your tax records?

In most cases, the CRA can reassess (review) your tax returns for the previous three years and audit them for the previous four years. However, CRA can go further back and there is no time limit as long as there is suspected fraud or misrepresentation on the part of the taxpayer. Generally, you must keep all required records and supporting documents for six years from the end of the last tax year they relate to.

Tax Deductions and Credits in Canada

1. Why should I file my taxes in Canada?

If you live in Canada, filing is an obligation. But beyond being something you must do, there are many reasons why filing your tax return each year can help your life.

Consider these reasons to file your taxes:

  • You owe tax or want to receive a refund – If you are a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year, you must file a tax return if you owe tax or want to receive a refund. If you owe tax, you should file on time to avoid late fees.
  • To confirm eligibility for refundable tax credits or other benefits – Refundable tax credits include the GST/HST Credit or the Canada Workers Benefit. If you don’t file a return, you won’t be able to confirm your eligibility for credits like these. The CRA also relies on information from your tax return to confirm eligibility for benefits such as the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)or the Climate Action Incentive. If you receive the Old Age Security (OAS) pension, your tax return confirms whether your income level will reduce the amount of the payments you receive.
  • To recover any tax, you overpaid from your paycheque – You may have had too much tax deducted from your paycheque and not benefited from all the deductions and tax credits you were entitled to. Filing your taxes can correct this and get your money back.
  • To establish contribution room in an RRSP – If you have earned income (from a job, for example), that means you can make contributions to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP). This is an account you can use to save or invest for your retirement. RRSP contributions are tax-deductible, which means they can reduce your taxes owing or add to your refund. If you don’t use your contribution room in any year, you can carry the unused amounts to future years.
  • You might be eligible for the Canada Learning Bond for your child’s education savings – If your income is low or moderate, you may be eligible for additional Canada Education Savings Grant(CESG) support as well as the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), which is a government grant added to your RESP. Filing your tax return will help determine your eligibility based on your income level.
  • Peace of mind – Staying up to date on filing your taxes is an important step in keeping your finances in order. If a crisis hits, this will be one less thing you or your family will need to worry about.


2. What deductions and credits am I eligible for as an individual taxpayer?

As an individual taxpayer in Canada, there are various deductions and tax credits you may be eligible for, depending on your circumstances. Here are some common deductions and credits that individuals can claim on their tax returns:

  • Basic Personal Amount
  • Employment Expenses
  • Home Office Expenses
  • Medical Expenses
  • Charitable Donations
  • Education and Tuition Credits
  • Child and Family Benefits
  • Pension Contributions
  • Caregiver Tax Credit
  • First-Time Home Buyers' Credit

It's important to note that these deductions and credits have specific eligibility criteria, limits, and documentation requirements. Keeping accurate records and receipts is crucial when claiming deductions or credits on your tax return. Consider consulting with a tax accountant in Toronto to ensure you are maximizing your eligible deductions and credits while complying with tax regulations.

3. How can I maximize tax deductions and credits to reduce my tax bill in Canada?

  • Claim all eligible deductions:
  • Maximize tax credits. Look for tax credits that you qualify for.
  • Utilize tax-free savings accounts (TFSA)
  • Split income with family members:
  • Keep up to date with changes to tax laws and regulations in Canada.
  • Consider consulting with a professional tax accountant to help you identify additional tax-saving strategies based on your specific financial situation and goals.

Investments and Capital Gains


1. How are investment income and capital gains taxed in Canada?

In Canada, only 50% of the total capital gains are taxable. It is included in your annual taxable income and taxed at your marginal tax rate.

2. Can I carry forward or transfer capital losses to offset gains in future years?

You can use a net capital loss to reduce your taxable capital gain in any of the three preceding years or any future year. You can generally carry capital losses forward indefinitely, either until you use them all up or until they run out. Carryovers of capital losses have no time limit, so you can use them to offset capital gains or as a deduction against ordinary income in subsequent tax years until they are exhausted.

3. How many years can you carry a capital loss forward in Canada?

Net capital losses can also be carried forward indefinitely. They can be used to offset taxable capital gains (in part or in full) in future years, but there is no requirement to use them when capital gains arise.

Employment and Benefits

1. Can I deduct expenses related to my job, such as vehicle expenses or home office costs?

You can deduct expenses you paid in 2023 for the employment use of a workspace in your home, as long as you meet one of the following conditions: The workspace is where you mainly (more than 50% of the time) do your work. You use the workspace only to earn your employment income.

Home office expenses reimbursed by the employer are not eligible for the deduction.

2. What taxes do I need to pay if I work as a freelancer or independent contractor?

If you work as a freelancer or independent contractor in Canada, you are generally responsible for paying several types of taxes. Here are the key taxes you need to be aware of:

  • Income Tax
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Contributions
  • Employment Insurance (EI) Premiums if you opt into the program.
  • Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST): Depending on your income and the nature of your business.
  • Provincial Taxes: In addition to federal taxes, you may also be subject to provincial or territorial taxes based on where you reside and conduct business.


3. Do contractors pay less tax in Canada?

A significant benefit to being an independent contractor in Canada is that you can write off business expenses, which helps lower your taxes. If you work from home and, assuming you have a set area that you use strictly for work, you can write off a portion of your rent and utility costs.

4. How do I report freelance income in Canada?

Gig workers who are residents of Canada must report and pay tax on all self-employment income by completing line 26000 of their income tax and benefit return, as well as Form T2125, Statement of Business or Professional Activities. This applies to all income, including income earned from business done outside of Canada.

Tax Planning and Strategies


1. How can I reduce taxes legally through tax planning strategies in Canada?

Paying taxes is an inevitable obligation for every Canadian citizen, however, there are strategies you can use to reduce your tax bill.

  • File your taxes on time.
  • Separate personal expenses
  • Take maximum advantage of tax credits and deductions.
  • Split your income or pension with your spouse.
  • Keep thorough records.
  • Utilize RRSPs, TFSAs, and RESPs to the max
  • Keep up with changes to tax laws.
  • Make a heartfelt donation (and keep the receipt)
  • Prioritizing investments that receive preferential tax treatments
  • Reducing tax brackets - Careful planning around what type of income to withdraw from various accounts can help minimize the tax rates you pay.

Tax planning is a process of continuous refinement to align with your financial priorities as circumstances evolve. Leverage professional expertise from a tax accountant and remain vigilant to changes that could impact your tax liability.

Tax Audits and Disputes


1. What should I do if I receive a tax audit or assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)?

Receiving a Notice to Reassessment means (NOR) that CRA has reviewed your return in a more detailed manner and has found one or more issues. It’s important to understand that simply receiving a CRA reassessment does not mean that the agency believes you have committed tax fraud. Many reassessments are done for minor errors such as incorrect or incomplete information on the tax return.

If you want to dispute a NOR from the CRA you must act quickly. There are different options you can take to resolve the issues. Before you decide how to proceed, it’s essential to understand what your options are, and which one suits the best of your interests. However, CRA can be very difficult to deal with, so it is strongly recommended to have a professional tax accountant on your side to avail best chances of success.

In all cases, you have to explain why you object to CRA’s assessment or reassessment and include all relevant facts and documents.

Objections must be received within 90 days from the date the Notice of Assessment was written. However, individual taxpayers may be able to file an objection within one year of filing a return even if the 90-day period has passed. You should call CRA to determine your deadline for objecting.

2. How can I resolve disputes or appeal tax decisions made by the CRA?

If you disagree with a notice of assessment or reassessment, you can first contact the General Inquiries line of CRA to discuss the matter with a representative.

If the matter is not resolved, you can formally object to the assessment or reassessment. You have several options for how to file an objection:

  • Online submission: if you have an individual account or a business account registered online with CRA, select the option to Register my Formal Dispute
  • Through your representative: Use the Represent a client option online and select the option to Register my Formal Dispute; or
  • By mail, using Form T400A, Objection – Income Tax Act available from Canada Revenue Agency, or by writing a letter: write to the Chief of Appeals at the Appeals Intake Centre

Once your objection has been received, an independent review will take place and you will usually be able to present information about your objection to an Appeals Officer who will make a decision. CRA will send you its decision by way of a notice of assessment or a notice of confirmation. If you do not agree with CRA’s decision, you can appeal to the Tax Court of Canada.

Your appeal to the Tax Court of Canada must be made within 90 days from the date of the notice of reassessment or notice of confirmation.

There are two ways to appeal to the Tax Court: An Informal Procedure and a General Procedure. The type of procedure you use will depend on the amount of money in dispute.

Wrap Up

These are just some examples of the tax-related questions that individuals in Canada may ask. It's important to consult with a qualified tax professional or use reliable tax resources provided by the CRA for accurate and personalized tax advice based on your specific financial situation.

Feel free to reach out to Filing Taxes at 416-479-8532. Schedule an NTR engagement appointment with us and take the first step toward proper management of your finances.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not consider your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Salman Rundhawa and Filing Taxes will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Written By:
Salman Rundhawa
Salman Rundhawa is the founder of Filing Taxes. Salman provides valuable tax planning, accounting, and income tax preparation services in Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, and Hamilton.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

April 5, 2024
How Student Loans Work in Canada: Types, Eligibility, and Repayment

Are you a student attending college in Canada and in need of financial assistance? Look no further than a student loan program! But before you dive in, it’s crucial to understand student loan interest rates, repayment schedules, and exit fees. We’re here to guide you through the process and ensure that you’re fully prepared for […]

Read More
April 3, 2024
Do Canadian Small Businesses and Self-Employed Entrepreneurs Have to Pay CPP?

Small Business Owners and Self-employed entrepreneurs who have not incorporated their businesses, pay Canada Pension Plan (CPP) as a part of the calculations on their personal tax returns. So whether or not your business is incorporated is not a factor. Nor is it whether or not you pay yourself a “salary.” For tax purposes, the Canada Revenue […]

Read More
April 3, 2024
Canada FPT Tax Credit – Eligibility Criteria, Payment Dates 2024

Did you get a deposit from “Canada FPT” and you’re unsure what it’s all about? Not to worry – Canada FPT is short for the Federal, Provincial, and Territorial tax credit. What is Canada FPT Tax Credit 2024? The Federal-Provincial-Territorial (FPT) tax credit is a system of tax incentives and relief measures designed to promote economic […]

Read More
1 2 3 21
Contact Form Demo

This will close in 0 seconds

phone-handsetchevron-down Call Now linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram